Saturday, July 29, 2006

All Change

My dad told me once that his mother's family can be traced back to the Romany tradition. I find it very easy to believe this, and have been saying for ages that I'd love to have time to find out more about it.

I guess it is because of this is that I hate being cooped up indoors and get "itchy feet" very easily. If things stay the same for too long I have to make something change. Often though, as now, change comes just at the right time without too much prompting from me.

Actually I thought it would be nice to move house, but we can't afford that so I'd given up on the idea of a major change. In September Callie starts nursery full time, which she is really looking forward too. I've also decided to re-start my studies with Open University. Perhaps that should be enough changes to be getting on with.

Anyway another, unprompted, change has just come my way, which will have a big impact on all of this. I told a friend "I've got to tell you before you hear this from anyone else" and she said "You're pregnant" - No, I'm not. But my job is going. The post I am in is not funded any more, and the charity I work for is redeploying me to it's regional office. It's about an hour's travel each way (as opposed to 20 mins walk) and I will be only working 2 days a week.

My initial reaction was to start job hunting again, but I' don't think that's what God wants. There is certainly nothing around that would suit me any better. There will be some challenges in the job, but all within the comfort of the sort of admin work I've done on and off for donkey's years. Anyway, even that job's only funded 'till March, so I'll take the opportunity to top up my experience in fund raising and data management until then. It fits in perfectly with Callie's new timetable. We are currently trying to work out how to cover the drop in salary, but it should be possible.

It could all be quite exciting actually. What will God have for me to do with that "spare time"?

No comments: